- Have specific individual(s) responsible for ordering supplies.
- Train all employees who answer the phone.
- Don't give equipment information, like serial numbers, over the phone.
- Do business with known companies or ask for references.
- Issue a written purchase order with authorized signature and purchase order number.
- Instruct supplier to put purchase order number on its invoice and bill of lading.
- Don't pay bills unless they match your documentation.
- Merchandise must conform to bill of lading or refuse it.
- Don't pay for, or return, unordered merchandise.
- Report the incident to the appropriate authorities immediately.